Grants and Programs
After School Tutoring Programs:
- Springboard, our free after school tutoring program is offered Monday through Thursday when Princeton Regional Schools are in session. There were over 1,700 individual tutoring sessions held at the library in 2010. Staffed by a combination of community volunteers and paid tutors from the Princeton Regional School District, this program offers basic support and review of daily classroom work and builds research and presentation skills for later elementary and middle school aged children.
- BrainFuse is a free service offered to any library card holder and can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Users log on for one-on-one sessions with teachers across the country for subject specific help. This service is used primarily by later middle school students, high school students and some college aged students as well.
- Crunch Time study sessions at the library are held twice a year at exam time. The library is open late and staffed with volunteers from the Princeton Regional Schools, community members and library staff. Students can study at the library and get assistance from teachers and tutors. Pizza and snacks are provided by the library.
These programs have been funded in part by:
- The Concordia Foundation
- J. Seward Johnson Trust
- PNC Bank Fund at the Princeton Area Community Foundation
- The Revson Foundation
- Princeton University
The library is now able to host videogame tournaments and free play on Friday afternoons for our local youth. This program has proven very popular, drawing new teens to the library to enjoy an afternoon of friendly competition and fun. In addition to improving their social skills, teens gain critical thinking, reasoning and logic skills during these tournaments. In an effort to meet the needs of the local community in light of several store closings, the library has developed a video game collection available for loan.
The program was funded by a grant from the Princeton Tour Company.
Library by Mail
Princeton Public Library was awarded this two year grant from the Central New Jersey Library Cooperative to provide a "Library by Mail" service to all cardholders. Cardholders register for the program and then may request any library material to be mailed to them free of charge. Materials arrive by mail and may be returned by mail, free of charge or by dropping them off at the library or in one of the library's drop boxes. Included in this grant was funding for a new drop box at the Dinky Station which was in place by the fall of 2009.
This program is funded by a grant from the Central New Jersey Library Cooperative.
Museum Pass Program
The library is now able to offer a cardholders free access to some of the world's best museums through the Museum Pass Program. Cardholders simply reserve a pass and pick it up at the library the day before their scheduled visit. Passes are returned to the library the day following the visit.. Museums in New York and New Jersey, including the Guggenheim Museum, the Children's Museum of Manhattan and the Garden State Discovery Museum are among the most popular.
Initial funding for this program was provided by Pierre Deux. Additional funding was provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Princeton Environmental Film Festival
This annual event draws more that 1,400 people to the library in early January to watch leading edge environmental films, attend workshops and panel discussions with local experts and to exchange ideas and share experiences. In 2009, the Princeton Environmental Film Festival won the Highsmith Award for Innovative Library Programming.
Funding for this program has been provided by:
- Chruch and Dwight Co. Inc.
- Bert G. Kerstetter
- Make a Donation
- To find out more about making a donation, please contact the Foundation or donate now
- Grants and Awards
- Princeton Environmental Film Festival wins the Highsmith Award of Innovative Library Programming
- In the News
- A 4 Star Library for the second year
- $500,000 Gift from the Scheide Fund
- Library Awarded $1 Million Challenge Grant